First wireless earphones with Dolby Atmos

Would you be able to make the Dash Pro the first wireless earphones with Dolby Atmos ?

Might be an opportunity! Thanks for the input.

Will forward it :wink:

Best,
Kristian

How should this Work?! :thinking: will you lay your Headphone on your head?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you look up the history of binaural recording, you’ll find that it is possible to do 3d audio with a pair of head/ear phones. The fact that your ears are two point receivers, essentially stereo in nature just like your eyes, yet can distinguish the direction from which a sound is coming on a 360 degree 3d sphere means it is inherently possible.

Back in 1974, I acquired my first quadraphonic LP album. It provided audio from left and right front as well as left and right rear. It could image a sound by relative volume as coming from anywhere around you. You could image yourself in the midst of an orchestra with sounds from distinct groups of instruments coming from a flat stage all around you. It could recreate the effect of placing you in the middle of the orchestra pit.

Nice, but stereo left right audio requires 2 separated speakers and relative volume allows it to appear that the sound comes from anywhere from the ends and in between the points where the speakers are located. Math wise, 2 points determine a line. Expanding it by one dimension, 3 points determine a plane. Rather than going with 4 channels, 3 speakers arranged as an equilateral triangle can image a sound coming from any direction in a flat plane around you. I was not thrilled with the wasted channel from my quad album as well as the unnecessay hardware required. With the advent of affordable 4 channel audio recorders, I anticipated the simple math extension of microphones arranged at the center of a tetrahedron oriented so as to point to the corners. 4 points determine 3d space. By placing 4 speakers corresponding to the direction pointed to by the mics, it was possible to image the sound as coming from any direction in that 360 degree sphere around you.

If a bee flew around the mics, you could imagine it quite precisely buzzing around you. If someone shot an arrow, you could hear it buzz past your ear. A helicopter could be directly over your head or you could hear the sound of the train wheels beneath your feet. It was pretty cool stuff but really required you to sit at the sweet spot centered pretty much exactly at the center of the tetrahedral array of speakers.

Theatres and electronics suppliers liked selling more is better and unnecessarily adding channels. Finally, there are quad channel tetrahedral array mics available, (Sennheiser) but these are easy enough to make with a 3d printer, 4 mono mics and a few elastics. The problem has been that of the sweet spot.

The psychoacoustic effects of binaural recording have been known for nearly a century and the electronics are there. At this point, Dolby can continue to lead us away from real 3d sound or the industry can finally go in the direction of 4 channel 3d recorded sound processed for head set pairs for a truly immersive 3d sound imaging system. For the time being, I can’t see much in the way of tetrahedral recorded 3d source material and until theatres are configured to support wired headphones the same way they do 3d glasses, this is still a ways off. And of course Bluetooth being pretty much limited to a single listener means adoption of wireless 3d is pretty much not going to happen before your Bragi lithium cells have retired.