While things are so very uncertain at the moment, in a position where some people have been waiting for hardware replacement for almost a year already and no end is in sight… the simple fact of the matter is that there is nothing on the market at the moment that can match the Dash Pro in terms of functionality.
It seems that I’m of a minority that still has an almost fully functional pair of Dash pros. I say almost since because I still have issues such as the left unit simply stopping and starting working randomly if I’m on a call for more than a few mins. Voice calls outdoors are pointless from a mic point of view, I have patchy success using google assistant with them and they never connect to the APP unless I turn off BT and reactivate it from WITHIN the app itself. However, they are still playing music, both sides working fine, holding charge and no breaking pins on my charger- critical failures that a lot of people in here seem to have had the misfortune of suffering.
I’m planning for the inevitability of when they do give up the ghost and I’m looking around the marketplace for a potential replacement. Jabra Elite Pro, Samsung Galaxy buds, Jaybirds, Sennheiser momentum etc…. and the more in depth reviews I watch as to their features the more I realise I’ve become spoiled by the Pro a bit. I can’t recall all unit specifics but in general shortfalls can include:
• Very few devices offer onboard storage as well as Bluetooth
• Some buds don’t even offer the ability to adjust volume from the buds themselves
• Some like the Galaxy Buds seem to have more functions than the available slots to assign said functions. You have to compromise with these actions in the app so if you want to have the voice assistant launching from the buds, then you lose out on volume up/down….
• Most offer a transparency option of sorts- I’ve read that the Galaxy bud at launch made you long press the unit to activate transparency but you had to HOLD your finger there to keep it on. Since been rectified software wise, but to my knowledge no other units have a wind shield function which I use daily when cycling on the Dash Pro. The pro option to pause music and activate transparency with just one tap and vice versa is fantastic.
• Few have submergable water protection
• 4D menu is totally unique to the Dash Pro and something I find incredibly useful not to mention just fun as heck to use.
• In my opinion there is nothing better looking aesthetically out there at the moment, but that’s just my taste.
Now, the new acquirers are supposed to continue making the Dash Pro and we can hope that they continue to develop it to arrive in a scenario where all of this functionality is coupled with hardware reliability that the Pro seems to lack from the looks of this forum. We also have the promise of 3rd party devices that will come from Bragi’s IP contributions. With bragi concepts, AI and features combined with an established manufacturer we could be looking at some exciting products yet to come. The issue here is that all of this is way in the future and for the moment…. Nothing else quite stacks up when you’ve fallen in love with the Dash Pro.
All discussions welcome folk and if there are units on the market that offer all of the above feel free to share with us all!